Archive for July, 2011
I was out of town in Trinity Pines this past weekend & at their prayer garden it was inscribed Psalm 46:10, & so we’ll focus on it today.
Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth!
PA: Parental Arrival
Your worst nightmare. Right? Well guess what, I have a few tips to get ready for Visiting Parents. Time is of the essence. Start planning in advance, usually a week (if they give you the notice!) Break down the things you need to get done.
- Bathroom – Okay, you know it’s gross! You might be able to live with the scum on your counters and the ring big enough for Saturn on your tub, but Momma ain’t gonna dig it. SCRUB that TUB!
- Bedsheets – You know you don’t change them weekly, like Momma said Momma said! Give poor Momoma a nice clean pair of sheets to relax in.
- Food – Either prep meals for y’all (don’t make them cook!) Or plan and save for outside meals. Don’t count on your parents for meals, they’re here to visit, not to spend their life savings feeding you.
- Carpets & Dust – Yes, your parents will notice if you don’t dust and vacuum, don’t have a vacuum? Go borrow one!
- Extra towels – Get them extra towels for the bathroom, and an extra blanket.
- Entertainment – Mom doesn’t want to cramp your style, but do things that she’d enjoy with you! If you two have nothing in common, suck it up, doesn’t fuss, and plan things that she’d like, just don’t pack the schedule too tight, Mom might have plans of her own! Maybe her and Dad got couple’s night planned when you decided to for you all to see the local tic tac toe art.
- Finally, Be home. Sometimes just watching your favorite shows and eating a scoop of ice cream is the best way to enjoy and relax your mom & dad.
This is a bulk food that feeds, and feeds, and feeds; no fish or bread loaves (unless garlic as a side!) But it does well with the masses, one of the few dishes I’ve actually run out of, even with two sides, garlic bread & a dessert, people licked my containers clean. Another recipe slightly edited from my mother.
Chicken Spaghetti (For the Masses)
- 1 can mushroom or cream chicken
- 1 c milk or water
- 1 lb Cubed cooked chicken
- 3 lbs cooked spaghetti
- 2 cans rotel mild
- ½ onion diced finely
- 1 lb Velveeta
Set oven at 350 degrees
Mix all but cheese, chicken and pasta.
Add chicken & pasta
Pour mixture into well greased pans (And yes, TWO Pans).
Add Velveeta in small cubes, spread evenly across the top of the mixture.
Wrap in foil, 35-45 minutes
Bake 10-15 min without Foil
Sometimes I’ve added one small diced green bell pepper, but as I found out hard way, a little goes a long way.
It’s another Sunday here in Texas, and boy, is it a toasty one!
I’ve always said that if my yard needed watering, God would turn on the sprinklers. I’m starting to think that maybe, maybe I’ve got to be the sprinklers this year! I’ll be out there pretty early to water the foundation. The foundation of my house is slab, and well, if you’ve never been to Texas, you don’t understand our dirt. Well, actually if you live in eastern Missouri you might. It’s not all red clay down here, some of it, especially in the Dallas area is black dirt. The official name I can’t tell you, but you talk to a Texan it’s black dirt. It’s not the worst dirt, but you know that it’s a bit dry in taste, requires plenty of water. If not, it cracks deep and wide, like a plumber’s pants. It ain’t pretty. The problem with the deep v cracks is that houses sit on top of that dirt, not directly, but on top of the concrete slab that sits on that black dirt. This can cause a house to fall, walls and ceilings cracks, and expensive and sometimes irreparable damage.
Kinda like when the foundations of your faith get a little parched and a little dry. You seem like you’re on solid ground, but little wall cracks start and you put some patching on them, not really worrying about the little things. Not until someone else comes into your life and like prospective buyers they see the quick repairs you’ve made and they realize that those patches don’t solve the true problem, those cracks in your house your soul run deep and wide into the very foundation of your beliefs.
Christians today are under attack. The King of Lies, the Serpent makes holes in your foundation not by direct attack on your faith, those you’re prepared for; the person who blatantly states their hatred for you and your beliefs, but by drying up the nourishing well of water that keeps your foundation solid and firm. He does little things, convinces you that skipping church isn’t too bad, those ‘fundamentalists’ are too harsh, they don’t really know how to live these days, a night of drinking is no harm, that speeding isn’t bad. But slowly, your surroundings are less and less filled with Christ and those who love him, and soon you’re washing yourself in the dust that was your life.
Francis Chan has a pretty popular video out on the slow drying spell that’s hit the most liberal of Christian sects, the erasure of Hell. Hell’s not real, surely a good god wouldn’t make people go there, just because they didn’t know any better, the pygmies in africa did no harm! But you know what? Scripture doesn’t agree with that view at all, Scripture tells us that yes Hell is very real, and very much a place of eternity. Erasing Hell gives the devil another foothold into your foundations, that firm solid ground is cracking, and your house will fall.
Watch the video:
He’s got a great few points.
Know what you believe and believe it without fear.
Let God turn the sprinklers on in your yard, don’t let the black dirt ruin your foundation, keep the cracks at bay.
I have 7 places that I want to go around the World…
- Scotland -It’s the family homestead – a long long time ago.
- Italy -Florence, Rome, Naples, Milan, Venice! I feel a song coming on… We open in Venice, We next play Verona, Then on to Cremona…
- Greece – Athens, this is SPARTA!!!!
- Sydney, Australia & the Providence of Victoria! 😉
- Auckland, New Zealand, I’ve got friends there, I think I might ski on the North island & surf on the South!
- England – I’d like to go to 221B Baker Street please… 🙂
- Israel – I’d love to see where well, the whole Hebrew thing started, if I knew where Eden was, I’d go there!
Award Winning Vegetarian Chili
I can say that because I just won an award for this chili: the local office of MHMR Chili Cook-off! I won third place, whoot whoot! It was a Texas Chili Cookoff, I didn’t make a traditional Texas Chili so I didn’t expect to win, but this one packs a long lasting heat so get it a shot!
Another recipe I snitched from my mom, but I did change a few things, one thing is making it a Crockpot recipe.
- 1 medium/large red onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jar chopped chipotles in adobo sauce 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 12 oz cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans northern white beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 3 11.5 oz cans Campbell’s tomato juice
- 1 8oz can tomato puree
Add onion, carrots, celery, peppers, garlic, tomatoes & the liquids. Turn the Crockpot on high. Blend in Crockpot. Steep 10 minutes.
Add chipotles, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt and beans. Stir until thoroughly blended. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6.
Garnish individual bowls with green onions or sour cream, if desired.
Oh, and it probably will feed your whole house twice over (est. 4-6 servings)
Today’s post will be short, something from James & and a question for meditation on the verse. James is a letter written directly to the already ‘churched’ group, the Jews. I see this to be like those of us Christians who grew up ‘churched.’ We’re the ones who seem to be stuck in the law, so how will the following verses apply to us as a ‘churched’ group?
” 4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.”