Award Winning Vegetarian Chili
I can say that because I just won an award for this chili: the local office of MHMR Chili Cook-off! I won third place, whoot whoot! It was a Texas Chili Cookoff, I didn’t make a traditional Texas Chili so I didn’t expect to win, but this one packs a long lasting heat so get it a shot!
Another recipe I snitched from my mom, but I did change a few things, one thing is making it a Crockpot recipe.
- 1 medium/large red onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jar chopped chipotles in adobo sauce 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 12 oz cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans northern white beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 3 11.5 oz cans Campbell’s tomato juice
- 1 8oz can tomato puree
Add onion, carrots, celery, peppers, garlic, tomatoes & the liquids. Turn the Crockpot on high. Blend in Crockpot. Steep 10 minutes.
Add chipotles, oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt and beans. Stir until thoroughly blended. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6.
Garnish individual bowls with green onions or sour cream, if desired.
Oh, and it probably will feed your whole house twice over (est. 4-6 servings)