Mmmm… the smell of vanilla brings comfort & appeal in my baking nook. I love it in pies, pastries, cookies, cakes, breads & frostings. It gives depth & richness & while there is such a thing as “artificial” I pretend otherwise. I did a little research about my friend the vanilla bean & I’ve gathered 5 factoids.
1) There are 3 major growing areas: Mexico, South America & Madagascar. Originated in Mexico & Central America.
2) 2nd most expensive spice, after saffron.
3) Madagascar makes the most vanilla in the world.
4) Vanilla is hand pollinated which adds to the expense as well as location.
5) It tastes great in my frosting!
I’ll post it next week, enjoy your flavorful food for thought!