This is my preferred icing of choice, it’s quick, easy, and popular to boot.
From the Wilton’s website, I don’t use the clear vanilla flavoring, I refuse to sub out fake vanillan for the real stuff.
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.
shortening & butter blended is better than all of the other.
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
- For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
***For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
*****For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cake.