Pasty (rhymes with nasty) is a British pastry filled with an uncooked center, folded, sealed, & baked. Pasties is plural for pasty, not to be mistaken for it’s seductive friend Pasties. Pasties & Pasties aren’t easy to confuse if spoken aloud. But onwards!
Apricot-Sweet Potato Pasty
1 recipe Hand Pie dough (last tuesday’s post)
1 c diced, dried apricots
¼ c bourbon (I used Jim Beam Black Double Aged)
2 med sweet potatoes (1lb)
½ c +2tsp sugar
2 TBSP unsalted butter
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground fresh nutmeg
½ tsp cardamom
½ tsp kosher salt
2 TBSP heavy cream (egg wash)
1 large egg, lightly beaten (egg wash)
1. Prep hand dough
2. In a small bowl (or 1 c measuring cup) combine apricots & bourbon; soak 1 hr, until softened & most liquid absorbed. I fill the measuring cup with bourbon, slightly below the rim. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Wrap sweet potatoes in foil. Bake 45-55 minutes; until soft. Remove, discard foil, cool potatoes slightly. Remove & discard peels.
4. Reduce oven temp to 375°. Filling: combine sweet potatoes, apricots, bourbon, butter, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, salt in a large bowl. Mash like homestyle potatoes.
5. Lightly grease (or use parchment paper) 2 rimmed baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface roll out pie dough to ≤¼” thick. With a 4-5″ circular cookie cutter, cut 16-20 rounds, rerolling dough as necessary. 1 heaping TBSP filling in the center of each round. Leave a ½” border of dough.
6. Mix cream & egg to form a dough wash; using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the rounds; fold in half and crimp the edges of the pasty together. Use a fork or your fingers, sealing it well. It may get messy! Vent the top of the pies with two slits.
7. Arrange pies on prepped sheets. Brush tops with remaining wash; sprinkle with the extra 2 tsp sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through cook time. Should be golden brown. Wisest move is to bake one sheet at a time & prep the second sheet.
8. Remove from oven & cool. Serve warm or at room temp.
**Wrap the cooled pies in saran wrap (individually) & place them in a freezable container for up to 1 month. To thaw, sit out at room temp & serve. Will stay in fridge for 3 days.