Archive for category Tips
No, not this Hardy.
Or even these Hardys…
But the hardy that goes with party! Its that season & here’s a few links with themes & ideas to celebrating the Yuletide right.
All others might just want a pretty bird to look at, so here’s to being ready for the annual bird toast!
I believe everyone should travel light, and why not travel like an English butler picked your suitcase?
Heres how you travel British style:
Last week I covered the second half of that childhood taunt, talking about weddings. I had a big to do this last Saturday for family & they spawned that topic.
This last Sunday I had a baby shower & the Saturday before last. I’ve hit my stride of many to do’s. So far not broke, but getting there!
These following points are baby shower thoughts & tips… feel free to add your own in the comment section.
* Baby 1: The hair bow should not be bigger than the baby’s head. Common sense people!
* Baby 2: How to be better parent books are to only be given if specifically asked for. Be nice & remember to keep your mouth shut, their parents will do enough ‘teaching’.
* Baby 3: Diaper poo guessing games are not everyone’s cup of tea, do not make them sniff melted snickers if they don’t want too.
* Baby 4: 5,000 onesies in size 3 months is nice … unless the baby is 12 lbs at birth. Buy different sizes to grow into.
* Baby 5: Never ask another woman at the baby shower when she’s due too. A) not her shower & B) she’s probably not expecting.
* & Baby 6: Do not give the mother a Buddha statue to help remind her of her last 9 months. Of course, if the baby’s room is Zen-ified, that might be okay.
Well, okay, not that old.
But I’m starting to feel older as my gifting purposes change for just birthdays & holidays -> birthdays, holidays & graduations -> weddings & holidays -> weddings, holidays, babies & funerals. I guess the normal transition of life events but still, making me feel older. Yes, I buy funeral gifts, normally just a hand written note & ivy (they’re hard to kill & thus excellent funeral plants).
But today we’re focusing on the most expensive gifting season; wedding season. Merciful heavens, I want to get married! Look at all the stuff they get!
Registries: Bane of my existence. If you register at some ridiculously priced facility, or some 1 store in Texas place prepare to not get anything on your list. I am not driving 239 mi to the nearest branch of a store to find out you really want those diamond encrusted lobster tongs. You’re getting something practical or if I decide that practicals too much of a stretch for you, then you’re getting cash. I’ll even be nice & give it to you before you take that two week honeymoon backpacking, er, first class trip to French wineries. Be kind to your guests, we’re trying to celebrate your wedding not take out a small loan for those tongs… & remember to repay the favor when those poor single ladies get hitched, just because you now have 5 kids in braces when we stroll down the aisle does not mean you can reuse some cobwebbed gift we gave you alllll those years ago.
If you choose to wear heels like this to weddings, friends, bring shoes like this for the drive to & fro!
Your feet with thank you.
No wedding is complete without a few hitches (I’m so punnerific!). All jokes aside, a few necessities should be crammed in that ridiculously small clutch that looks so Fab with that dress:
I’d also include a tide stick (mini would be good), oil blot sheets, a car key (leave the rest in a stored spot), a cellphone, & an id. Who knows if the bartender believes you’re really 28 ½ & legal? (Snag him ladies, he’s a keeper!)
Lastly to have a fun, safe wedding, drink less than you think you should, eat the not super sugared food, & most of all avoid the relative or two who pokes your belly or glares at your empty left hand & asks when are you going to finally grow up & be a successful life entity.
I’m off to another wedding this weekend, & I’m pretty prepared. But if you’re getting married look out for birdseed, I have a great sneak attack.
(That’s me on the left, bulls eye!)
This is the digital age, or so my alarm clock tells me. It means pre perked coffee pots, morning texts from SnuggleBear, & booking travels by mouse clicks.
There are plenty of travel discount sites as I can tell from all the commercials my DVR lets me skip. Such as Shatner’s priceline.com, the gnome’s travelocity.com, the bad dancers from hotels.com & the creepy dumb commercials (the pupil dilation was freaky) from Kayak.com.
Airlines like to add their 2¢ with remarks that they don’t offer lower flights anywhere but their own sites (*ahem* American Airlines & Southwest).
I don’t get to travel often, easy job & dog limit my times, but two sites/apps I adore aren’t listed above, but below!
How many of you know of Groupon’s travel deals? They offer so many places! If you poke around you even run across offers in your own city place, perfect trips for affordable & fun staycations. Some of the international trips include airfare, mainly down in the islands of sand & sea.
My fun app when driving is Hotel Tonight. If you’re traveling on spur of the moment or just planning a mini trip within a days drive, look here first! They’re expanding cities with service often, & the deals are made available at noon CST. You can book rooms at slashed prices for that night or more at better costs! I even got a $25 credit for getting the app & for any friend I recommend who books a stay somewhere.
Travel is expensive, frustrating at times, & a nightmare to organize. Thankfully, well run travel sites & apps can lower the stress & save a little green along the way.
What app or travel discount site do you love?
I post that in jest… but actually, in all seriousness…
I’m not sure how many times my mother has uttered this statement… but it’s been said at least once. She didn’t bite Barbie heads, but I think she used the lock on the door to keep herself in not to keep us out.
So if your Mom is anything like my mom, the thing she treasures most is her sanity. I’ve got a few things that could reboot her sanity (and keep you from taking out a second loan).
How to Keep Mom Happy (AND YOU DEBT FREE):
- Buy a webcam and set up video chatting, that way your mom can avoid the embarrassment of video recording herself trying to call you
- Digitize all her photos that way she can order reprints of your first bath for your boyfriend’s viewing when he comes over for Memorial Day festivities.
- If she’s a recipe hound help her set up all her recipes on her phone or computer through some creative apps and websites to make it easier on her for those last minute items.
- Plan a Picnic in the backyard, give Dad the grill and spread a blanket. Offer up a word of Thanks and a wand of bubbles for Mommy & Me time.
- For a little more adventurous time, grab an inner tube, grab your Mom (Sunblock too), pack an ice chest, and head to the River and share favorite moments you’ve had with her.
- Plant a tree or bush and have a small plaque done up in love for her.
- Make little gift goody bags to celebrate her the whole week, an item (such a rubber ducky with a poem about how she’s the one for you), a note & simple I love You.
- Spend the day reading around the bookstore (like Barnes & Noble) picking favorite books, pictures, and gaggle at image books.
- Make a homemade rice bag heating pad. Buy a little lavender, get a nice, NON USED tube sock, fill with uncooked rice/lavender, tie in a knot, and let mom enjoy a soothing back heater whenever you next stress her.
- Go Karaoke, and give a Tribute to Your Momma with some funky Motown Classics, or ham it up with some Dion or Houston.
- Plan a big tea party for multiple moms and collaborate with her best friends so that you and their kids can toast Moms everywhere.
- Arrange for dance lessons, and if they run a little high for your budget, rent a video from the library. Then once skilled, take her out for a spin.
Young Kid Gifts:
- Coloring page coupons for free hugs, no tear room clean ups, booger free dinners, or dress up nights.
- Make a crown and scepter, and pronounce her Queen for a Day, and all commandments were to be said in Queen Mommy Says…
- Have the adult cut out a door hanger, or buy a foam one at Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and have decorate so Mom can claim silent time.
Just remember, tell her you love her and that you appreciate all she does, ALL YEAR ROUND.
That’s right, this post is all about finding free money. No strings attached, yours to keep free money. Sounds crazy & possibly like spam, but it’s not. For one thing, the words are spelled correctly & I haven’t thrown in any symbols that make no sense.
But if you feel your skills don’t match the couple above, you can always use the internet to get some special training. Ever wondered what is a shim-sham? The lesson not long enough for practicing your lindy hop? Want to snuggle up with a beau for the balboa? You can visit youtube sites for Dallas/Ft. Worth/Denton swing clubs or www.freeswingdancelessons.com
Passenger Protection from Department of Transportation:
Jan 24: We now have the right to change or cancel reservations (within 24 hrs of our INITIAL reservation) as long as the ticket was bought a week in advance.
The airlines can’t increase our ticket prices once we get them! I can’t believe that was ever possible. But hey, better late than never.
Now the airlines have to include baggage fee amounts when we purchase our tickets, though they still get to charge us extra baggage fees. 😦
Even better, they have to TELL US if the flight is more than 30 minutes late. Hey hey!
Jan 25: The airlines will be required to include all government taxes and fees in all advertised fares. This will also be in any vacation packages booked after this week IF it includes airfare.
This really just helps us as consumers figure out what we’re really paying, and not what the airlines trick us into thinking when we need a ticket!