Posts Tagged affordable
Well, okay, not that old.
But I’m starting to feel older as my gifting purposes change for just birthdays & holidays -> birthdays, holidays & graduations -> weddings & holidays -> weddings, holidays, babies & funerals. I guess the normal transition of life events but still, making me feel older. Yes, I buy funeral gifts, normally just a hand written note & ivy (they’re hard to kill & thus excellent funeral plants).
But today we’re focusing on the most expensive gifting season; wedding season. Merciful heavens, I want to get married! Look at all the stuff they get!
Registries: Bane of my existence. If you register at some ridiculously priced facility, or some 1 store in Texas place prepare to not get anything on your list. I am not driving 239 mi to the nearest branch of a store to find out you really want those diamond encrusted lobster tongs. You’re getting something practical or if I decide that practicals too much of a stretch for you, then you’re getting cash. I’ll even be nice & give it to you before you take that two week honeymoon backpacking, er, first class trip to French wineries. Be kind to your guests, we’re trying to celebrate your wedding not take out a small loan for those tongs… & remember to repay the favor when those poor single ladies get hitched, just because you now have 5 kids in braces when we stroll down the aisle does not mean you can reuse some cobwebbed gift we gave you alllll those years ago.
If you choose to wear heels like this to weddings, friends, bring shoes like this for the drive to & fro!
Your feet with thank you.
No wedding is complete without a few hitches (I’m so punnerific!). All jokes aside, a few necessities should be crammed in that ridiculously small clutch that looks so Fab with that dress:
I’d also include a tide stick (mini would be good), oil blot sheets, a car key (leave the rest in a stored spot), a cellphone, & an id. Who knows if the bartender believes you’re really 28 ½ & legal? (Snag him ladies, he’s a keeper!)
Lastly to have a fun, safe wedding, drink less than you think you should, eat the not super sugared food, & most of all avoid the relative or two who pokes your belly or glares at your empty left hand & asks when are you going to finally grow up & be a successful life entity.
I’m off to another wedding this weekend, & I’m pretty prepared. But if you’re getting married look out for birdseed, I have a great sneak attack.
(That’s me on the left, bulls eye!)
I post that in jest… but actually, in all seriousness…
I’m not sure how many times my mother has uttered this statement… but it’s been said at least once. She didn’t bite Barbie heads, but I think she used the lock on the door to keep herself in not to keep us out.
So if your Mom is anything like my mom, the thing she treasures most is her sanity. I’ve got a few things that could reboot her sanity (and keep you from taking out a second loan).
How to Keep Mom Happy (AND YOU DEBT FREE):
- Buy a webcam and set up video chatting, that way your mom can avoid the embarrassment of video recording herself trying to call you
- Digitize all her photos that way she can order reprints of your first bath for your boyfriend’s viewing when he comes over for Memorial Day festivities.
- If she’s a recipe hound help her set up all her recipes on her phone or computer through some creative apps and websites to make it easier on her for those last minute items.
- Plan a Picnic in the backyard, give Dad the grill and spread a blanket. Offer up a word of Thanks and a wand of bubbles for Mommy & Me time.
- For a little more adventurous time, grab an inner tube, grab your Mom (Sunblock too), pack an ice chest, and head to the River and share favorite moments you’ve had with her.
- Plant a tree or bush and have a small plaque done up in love for her.
- Make little gift goody bags to celebrate her the whole week, an item (such a rubber ducky with a poem about how she’s the one for you), a note & simple I love You.
- Spend the day reading around the bookstore (like Barnes & Noble) picking favorite books, pictures, and gaggle at image books.
- Make a homemade rice bag heating pad. Buy a little lavender, get a nice, NON USED tube sock, fill with uncooked rice/lavender, tie in a knot, and let mom enjoy a soothing back heater whenever you next stress her.
- Go Karaoke, and give a Tribute to Your Momma with some funky Motown Classics, or ham it up with some Dion or Houston.
- Plan a big tea party for multiple moms and collaborate with her best friends so that you and their kids can toast Moms everywhere.
- Arrange for dance lessons, and if they run a little high for your budget, rent a video from the library. Then once skilled, take her out for a spin.
Young Kid Gifts:
- Coloring page coupons for free hugs, no tear room clean ups, booger free dinners, or dress up nights.
- Make a crown and scepter, and pronounce her Queen for a Day, and all commandments were to be said in Queen Mommy Says…
- Have the adult cut out a door hanger, or buy a foam one at Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and have decorate so Mom can claim silent time.