Posts Tagged crafts
I post that in jest… but actually, in all seriousness…
I’m not sure how many times my mother has uttered this statement… but it’s been said at least once. She didn’t bite Barbie heads, but I think she used the lock on the door to keep herself in not to keep us out.
So if your Mom is anything like my mom, the thing she treasures most is her sanity. I’ve got a few things that could reboot her sanity (and keep you from taking out a second loan).
How to Keep Mom Happy (AND YOU DEBT FREE):
- Buy a webcam and set up video chatting, that way your mom can avoid the embarrassment of video recording herself trying to call you
- Digitize all her photos that way she can order reprints of your first bath for your boyfriend’s viewing when he comes over for Memorial Day festivities.
- If she’s a recipe hound help her set up all her recipes on her phone or computer through some creative apps and websites to make it easier on her for those last minute items.
- Plan a Picnic in the backyard, give Dad the grill and spread a blanket. Offer up a word of Thanks and a wand of bubbles for Mommy & Me time.
- For a little more adventurous time, grab an inner tube, grab your Mom (Sunblock too), pack an ice chest, and head to the River and share favorite moments you’ve had with her.
- Plant a tree or bush and have a small plaque done up in love for her.
- Make little gift goody bags to celebrate her the whole week, an item (such a rubber ducky with a poem about how she’s the one for you), a note & simple I love You.
- Spend the day reading around the bookstore (like Barnes & Noble) picking favorite books, pictures, and gaggle at image books.
- Make a homemade rice bag heating pad. Buy a little lavender, get a nice, NON USED tube sock, fill with uncooked rice/lavender, tie in a knot, and let mom enjoy a soothing back heater whenever you next stress her.
- Go Karaoke, and give a Tribute to Your Momma with some funky Motown Classics, or ham it up with some Dion or Houston.
- Plan a big tea party for multiple moms and collaborate with her best friends so that you and their kids can toast Moms everywhere.
- Arrange for dance lessons, and if they run a little high for your budget, rent a video from the library. Then once skilled, take her out for a spin.
Young Kid Gifts:
- Coloring page coupons for free hugs, no tear room clean ups, booger free dinners, or dress up nights.
- Make a crown and scepter, and pronounce her Queen for a Day, and all commandments were to be said in Queen Mommy Says…
- Have the adult cut out a door hanger, or buy a foam one at Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and have decorate so Mom can claim silent time.
Just remember, tell her you love her and that you appreciate all she does, ALL YEAR ROUND.
If you’re curious as to what I’m talking about then you might not be from the Dallas area. The largest free music festival I know of (Part of 35 Denton costs) hosted in a large city park with multiple venues at once is once again this weekend!
Starting Friday the Denton Arts & Jazz Festival unravels a slewof activities, booths, games, food, artists, sculptures, & of course musicians! The only thing not allowed sadly is Fido, so please leave Fido, Fluffy, & Mr. Tiddlywinks in your a/c’d house. Their festival is around the corner in June at the Dog Days of Denton.
Live near Dart trains? Buy a regional pass & sail on up here, get off on the last DCTA stop & walk 3 blocks (or hop a bus if they’re running). Located in Quakertown Park, it’s snuggled up behind the City Hall, Senior Citizen Center, City Pool & Community City on Bell/McKinney intersection. Parking is limited so get there early or prepare for neighborhood parking options! If you need a new rug, a garden doodad, unique coffee coasters or just a finishing piece for your art collection you’ll find it here. It is a Mecca to the musically inclined & artsy alike. Kids can bang on real drums & not your good pots & pans at a kid’s magic booth (the magic being that it wears your kids out!) Or stop by a sizzling food booth spouting local cuisine. You’ll find something for everyone because two buildings filled with woodwork, grandma’s quilts, charcoal sketches done on site, framed pictures of velvet Elvis, fairy fantasies, natural nature or microwaveable potato socks meets even the pickiest gift shopper. Bring your cash & card & prepare to complete your Christmas shopping in advance!
Headliners are as follows:
Lee Ritenour Friday 9:00 Jazz Stage
Los Lonely Boys Saturday 9:00 Jazz Stage
Brave Combo Sunday 7:00 Jazz Stage
Honorable Mention: Denton Hand bell Choir Preforms Sunday at 1. This group of adults are a joy to hear & they use their talents to make many others happy in nursing homes & more. Please look them up while you’re there!
For more information visit Denton Arts & Jazz