Posts Tagged free
May your Christmas be merry & bright! Take the time to look at lights in your neighborhood. Gather the roommates, kids, or other pajamas clad individuals (that you know) & drive through some colorful & sparkly streets. Take cocoa, popcorn, something & jam to your holiday music. Its a good, good, thing.
One of my favorite small towns ever (& the best in America) we host a first Friday art-tastic event each month. Pictured above is the shops participating on W Oak. If you stop by SCRAP they’ll have samples of Armadillo Ale works, Denton’s own micro brews. Get free sangria & nibble sized square delectables at Denton Square Donuts upstairs & peruse art while listening to live must at Creative Art Studio. Walk the square, open late, for all Christmas goodies & cheer! Don’t forget to Shop Small this season!
Tomorrow night. 6:25 Pm. Denton Texas. Wassail Fest. Do it.
If you need more info go to Denton Downtown – Denton Main Street Association on Facebook. Come see what the number one small town in America does for Christmas Cheer!
So apparently food trucks are a big deal. They even have their own version of a Food Network War show. I even blogged my first visit here:
But as my screenshot shows, Denton too loves their food trucks, so much so that they’re having a party!
Then Dallas News decides to help in the promotion. http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/the-scene/events/Denton-Throws-Food-Truck-Festival/175878041 So, obviously you too should come eat it too. Oh, and did I mention you could ride in on the DCTA A Train & that is where the party’s at? Yup. Hop to it!
I post that in jest… but actually, in all seriousness…
I’m not sure how many times my mother has uttered this statement… but it’s been said at least once. She didn’t bite Barbie heads, but I think she used the lock on the door to keep herself in not to keep us out.
So if your Mom is anything like my mom, the thing she treasures most is her sanity. I’ve got a few things that could reboot her sanity (and keep you from taking out a second loan).
How to Keep Mom Happy (AND YOU DEBT FREE):
- Buy a webcam and set up video chatting, that way your mom can avoid the embarrassment of video recording herself trying to call you
- Digitize all her photos that way she can order reprints of your first bath for your boyfriend’s viewing when he comes over for Memorial Day festivities.
- If she’s a recipe hound help her set up all her recipes on her phone or computer through some creative apps and websites to make it easier on her for those last minute items.
- Plan a Picnic in the backyard, give Dad the grill and spread a blanket. Offer up a word of Thanks and a wand of bubbles for Mommy & Me time.
- For a little more adventurous time, grab an inner tube, grab your Mom (Sunblock too), pack an ice chest, and head to the River and share favorite moments you’ve had with her.
- Plant a tree or bush and have a small plaque done up in love for her.
- Make little gift goody bags to celebrate her the whole week, an item (such a rubber ducky with a poem about how she’s the one for you), a note & simple I love You.
- Spend the day reading around the bookstore (like Barnes & Noble) picking favorite books, pictures, and gaggle at image books.
- Make a homemade rice bag heating pad. Buy a little lavender, get a nice, NON USED tube sock, fill with uncooked rice/lavender, tie in a knot, and let mom enjoy a soothing back heater whenever you next stress her.
- Go Karaoke, and give a Tribute to Your Momma with some funky Motown Classics, or ham it up with some Dion or Houston.
- Plan a big tea party for multiple moms and collaborate with her best friends so that you and their kids can toast Moms everywhere.
- Arrange for dance lessons, and if they run a little high for your budget, rent a video from the library. Then once skilled, take her out for a spin.
Young Kid Gifts:
- Coloring page coupons for free hugs, no tear room clean ups, booger free dinners, or dress up nights.
- Make a crown and scepter, and pronounce her Queen for a Day, and all commandments were to be said in Queen Mommy Says…
- Have the adult cut out a door hanger, or buy a foam one at Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and have decorate so Mom can claim silent time.
Just remember, tell her you love her and that you appreciate all she does, ALL YEAR ROUND.
If you’re curious as to what I’m talking about then you might not be from the Dallas area. The largest free music festival I know of (Part of 35 Denton costs) hosted in a large city park with multiple venues at once is once again this weekend!
Starting Friday the Denton Arts & Jazz Festival unravels a slewof activities, booths, games, food, artists, sculptures, & of course musicians! The only thing not allowed sadly is Fido, so please leave Fido, Fluffy, & Mr. Tiddlywinks in your a/c’d house. Their festival is around the corner in June at the Dog Days of Denton.
Live near Dart trains? Buy a regional pass & sail on up here, get off on the last DCTA stop & walk 3 blocks (or hop a bus if they’re running). Located in Quakertown Park, it’s snuggled up behind the City Hall, Senior Citizen Center, City Pool & Community City on Bell/McKinney intersection. Parking is limited so get there early or prepare for neighborhood parking options! If you need a new rug, a garden doodad, unique coffee coasters or just a finishing piece for your art collection you’ll find it here. It is a Mecca to the musically inclined & artsy alike. Kids can bang on real drums & not your good pots & pans at a kid’s magic booth (the magic being that it wears your kids out!) Or stop by a sizzling food booth spouting local cuisine. You’ll find something for everyone because two buildings filled with woodwork, grandma’s quilts, charcoal sketches done on site, framed pictures of velvet Elvis, fairy fantasies, natural nature or microwaveable potato socks meets even the pickiest gift shopper. Bring your cash & card & prepare to complete your Christmas shopping in advance!
Headliners are as follows:
Lee Ritenour Friday 9:00 Jazz Stage
Los Lonely Boys Saturday 9:00 Jazz Stage
Brave Combo Sunday 7:00 Jazz Stage
Honorable Mention: Denton Hand bell Choir Preforms Sunday at 1. This group of adults are a joy to hear & they use their talents to make many others happy in nursing homes & more. Please look them up while you’re there!
For more information visit Denton Arts & Jazz
**Apologies for late posting, almost forgot**
Last week I wrote about how I was looking forward to going to the Ft. Worth Botanic Gardens. I was also using a Groupon, and based on a friend’s horror, was expecting a snafu or a fight over using the Groupon. I went with three other couples, one engaged, one dating for a little while, one not quite official at the time (At least not on facebook!) But, we got there, and it took a little time to wander through all the gardens to get to the main building (conference rooms, gift shop, bathrooms). When we arrived, we saw a wedding starting and lordy mercy, that was one Barbie doll wedding. If you’re not married and you plan on getting married, do not torture the man with barbie hot pink and silver. There’s just no reason to be that mean to the man you’re with forever (or not so forever if you believe in divorce). I took a few photos at arrival.
We made it inside at the 10:30 viewing.
We didn’t even have an issue with the Groupons! I’m sure because they had so many using them that last few days.