Posts Tagged hot
Its getting nippy down here (lows in the 20s) in Texas so it’s time for chilis, stews, soups, & comfort food.
Next week I’ll post my chunky Texasy chili, but this week is question time:
What is your go to winter liquid meal fix?
Got asked to go attend a good truck fun night at a local elementary school. I could not pass up the chance.
Specialty grilled cheeses & specialty hot dogs.
We ordered the Turkey Trot grilled cheese & the Maui Wowi Hot dog.
Things are definitely changing in the fancy food truck world!
Have you ever eaten from a food truck? Favorite truck?
**Apologies for late posting, almost forgot**
Last week I wrote about how I was looking forward to going to the Ft. Worth Botanic Gardens. I was also using a Groupon, and based on a friend’s horror, was expecting a snafu or a fight over using the Groupon. I went with three other couples, one engaged, one dating for a little while, one not quite official at the time (At least not on facebook!) But, we got there, and it took a little time to wander through all the gardens to get to the main building (conference rooms, gift shop, bathrooms). When we arrived, we saw a wedding starting and lordy mercy, that was one Barbie doll wedding. If you’re not married and you plan on getting married, do not torture the man with barbie hot pink and silver. There’s just no reason to be that mean to the man you’re with forever (or not so forever if you believe in divorce). I took a few photos at arrival.
We made it inside at the 10:30 viewing.
We didn’t even have an issue with the Groupons! I’m sure because they had so many using them that last few days.
I love this time of year! It just smells wonderful outside, the air is crisping, it’s cool in the mornings and glorious in the afternoon, nippy at night. There’s leaves turning colors, sweaters and scarves, rosy cheeks & food I look forward to every year…
The foods I most look forward to during this time of the year in least to most are:
5. Hot chocolate : while it’s not the season where I drink hot chocolate like water, it’s the reintroduction to my favorite seasonal drink. Sometimes I add mint, marshmellows, cinnamon or caramel, but plain jane still makes me happy.
4. Apples : what can’t you do with apples? A fruit available all year round, it’s best in the fall when the Yanks are so overrun they don’t know what to do with them so they ship them all south dirt cheap! Apple pie, fried apples, baked apple crisp, caramel apples, applesauce, apple butter, applesauce cakes, chicken salad, tarts, etc. There’s a reason that during sick season I’m pretty good off, that apple a day is no joke…
3. Sweet Potatoes : another thing floating around in boatloads during this time of the year & I do NOT meant that disgustingly syrupy concoction we Southerners call sweet potato casserole. Candied yams are not sweet potatoes. Learn the difference. I love sweet potato baked fries & subbing them into the savory meals. Sweet potatoes are much better for you than your basic russet & you can edit as you please! I’ll be trying an apricot & sweet potato pasty recipe I have in a few weeks!
2. Dressing : the only ‘dish’ food on the list for a reason. Every year at Thanksgiving a list goes out for food requests & without fail the only thing I request is dressing. It’s already on the list because it’s a staple, but I don’t care. I want my chicken dressing & all other things are second fiddle to my main love.
1. Pomegranates : My Fall Love. This tangy, juicy, time consuming, bleeding fruit is my seasonal love. It’s worth the peeling, it’s worth the stains & it’s at it’s cheapest these few wonderful months. Whether I’m eating them just like candy, decorating a trifle or baking with apples or other fruit, this powerful little juicy seed is my most demolished object. Hint: peel in a bowl of water to avoid stained fingers & allow the seeds to sink & the peel float. Strain, & drain. Store in an airtight container on a paper towel to keep from getting soggy.
Feel like I forgot your seasonal love? Post a comment below & tell me what you love about this season!