Posts Tagged old
The Longest chapter of the Bible & the lyrical masterpiece that is Psalm 119 has a section for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet. This quote is the second letter Beth.
Psalm 119:9-16 NIV84
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Praise be to you, O Lord;
teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
1 Samuel 19:11-17 NIV84
Saul sent men to David’s house to watch it and to kill him in the morning. But Michal, David’s wife, warned him, “If you don’t run for your life tonight, tomorrow you’ll be killed.” So Michal let David down through a window, and he fled and escaped. Then Michal took an idol and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats’ hair at the head.
When Saul sent the men to capture David, Michal said, “He is ill.”
Then Saul sent the men back to see David and told them, “Bring him up to me in his bed so that I may kill him.” But when the men entered, there was the idol in the bed, and at the head was some goats’ hair.
Saul said to Michal, “Why did you deceive me like this and send my enemy away so that he escaped?”
Michal told him, “He said to me, ‘Let me get away. Why should I kill you?’ ”
In this clip of David’s life, his wife the future Queen of Israel, is more of her father Saul than she might want. She uses a household idol & lies to protect herself from her father’s wrath & then to manipulate him to her side of the marriage. But you’ll see earlier passages where it stated that she truly loves David.
As a non married woman I may not be the best judge, but when reading the Bible I run across bad wives that have the same problems as all women. So I get to ask the ugly question:
What idol(s) are ruining your relationships with others?
The Book of Jeremiah is written about captivity in Babylon, & how false prophets were attacking the people with the wrong type of hope, false insecure hope. Jeremiah tells the people God’s true purpose here:
Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV84
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
When you seek after God he will distinguish the true hope from the lies Satan names as his hopes, because God only seeks to bless you in eternity more.
I post that in jest… but actually, in all seriousness…
I’m not sure how many times my mother has uttered this statement… but it’s been said at least once. She didn’t bite Barbie heads, but I think she used the lock on the door to keep herself in not to keep us out.
So if your Mom is anything like my mom, the thing she treasures most is her sanity. I’ve got a few things that could reboot her sanity (and keep you from taking out a second loan).
How to Keep Mom Happy (AND YOU DEBT FREE):
- Buy a webcam and set up video chatting, that way your mom can avoid the embarrassment of video recording herself trying to call you
- Digitize all her photos that way she can order reprints of your first bath for your boyfriend’s viewing when he comes over for Memorial Day festivities.
- If she’s a recipe hound help her set up all her recipes on her phone or computer through some creative apps and websites to make it easier on her for those last minute items.
- Plan a Picnic in the backyard, give Dad the grill and spread a blanket. Offer up a word of Thanks and a wand of bubbles for Mommy & Me time.
- For a little more adventurous time, grab an inner tube, grab your Mom (Sunblock too), pack an ice chest, and head to the River and share favorite moments you’ve had with her.
- Plant a tree or bush and have a small plaque done up in love for her.
- Make little gift goody bags to celebrate her the whole week, an item (such a rubber ducky with a poem about how she’s the one for you), a note & simple I love You.
- Spend the day reading around the bookstore (like Barnes & Noble) picking favorite books, pictures, and gaggle at image books.
- Make a homemade rice bag heating pad. Buy a little lavender, get a nice, NON USED tube sock, fill with uncooked rice/lavender, tie in a knot, and let mom enjoy a soothing back heater whenever you next stress her.
- Go Karaoke, and give a Tribute to Your Momma with some funky Motown Classics, or ham it up with some Dion or Houston.
- Plan a big tea party for multiple moms and collaborate with her best friends so that you and their kids can toast Moms everywhere.
- Arrange for dance lessons, and if they run a little high for your budget, rent a video from the library. Then once skilled, take her out for a spin.
Young Kid Gifts:
- Coloring page coupons for free hugs, no tear room clean ups, booger free dinners, or dress up nights.
- Make a crown and scepter, and pronounce her Queen for a Day, and all commandments were to be said in Queen Mommy Says…
- Have the adult cut out a door hanger, or buy a foam one at Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and have decorate so Mom can claim silent time.
Just remember, tell her you love her and that you appreciate all she does, ALL YEAR ROUND.
Sound kinda weird? Welcome to a historical society cookbook, full of ‘natural’ cough syrups, dirt soaps, Jerky, Opal’s peanut brittle, Squrriel stew & tips & tricks on how to get your pie dough to come out perfectly every time.
One of the best things to hunt for at flea markets, resale shops, grandma’s basement & your great aunt’s third-cousin’s twice-removed widowed sister’s kitchen. They combine common sense, forgotten vocabulary (oleo, sugar twin, Tiny tots, accent)!), & simply mouth watering homestyle recipes.
A Tribute to all people who’ve never written recipes down & just tell you to add a little til it looks right, I’ve included two great heritage historical cookbook recipes!
MamMaw Loftice Cinnamon Toast
6 slices white bread
Sugar, butter, cinnamon
Directions: My mama would cover each slice of bread with homemade butter, then cover with white sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook in a slow oven until toasted.
*My grandmother used Crisco, since it’s crunch better!
1000 lb. Meat
20 qt. Medium salt
5 lb. Brown sugar
1/2 lb saltpeter
1 lb. Black pepper
Directions: Good luck!
Old cookbooks have a sense of purpose, being & of course humour. Some are covered in notes, failures, & stars to repeat the meal because it was such a hit. There’s something wonderful about knowing you’re the 5th generation cooking something that your great-grandmother loved as a child. A sense of connection to past people in places not so far away.
Go find yourself an old cookbook & read up on your history!