Posts Tagged party
No, not this Hardy.
Or even these Hardys…
But the hardy that goes with party! Its that season & here’s a few links with themes & ideas to celebrating the Yuletide right.
Tomorrow night. 6:25 Pm. Denton Texas. Wassail Fest. Do it.
If you need more info go to Denton Downtown – Denton Main Street Association on Facebook. Come see what the number one small town in America does for Christmas Cheer!
So apparently food trucks are a big deal. They even have their own version of a Food Network War show. I even blogged my first visit here:
But as my screenshot shows, Denton too loves their food trucks, so much so that they’re having a party!
Then Dallas News decides to help in the promotion. http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/the-scene/events/Denton-Throws-Food-Truck-Festival/175878041 So, obviously you too should come eat it too. Oh, and did I mention you could ride in on the DCTA A Train & that is where the party’s at? Yup. Hop to it!
But is better off with Patience!
My friend & I tried somewhere new last week. While I wish I had chosen a better day for me (blood donors can not drink for 24 hours!) I still enjoyed the experience.
Groupon as I have said before makes me so happy. There was awhile back a Groupon for paint n sip in my town, so naturally I had to buy it! It was a twofer special & I knew exactly which friend I wanted to bring. Our schedules were at odds until the last day possible (pretty much the story of my life) & so the date was set for a Tuesday. I had sangria chilling & visions of blue paint daubs floating overhead that morning. Then I donated blood, which I do not regret but wish I had thought through, and the chilled bottle of sangria flew out of the figurative window. So did my boxing workout sadly enough. (Another Thursday post there.)
We went to our painting studio snugly tucked down one of our many one way streets. The owner & shop namesake Patience, introduced herself & let us choose our work stations. If you have never attended a paint n drink place (e.g. G’nosh, Painting with a Twist, Tipsy Doodles etc) let me give a brief sketch of the layout: You pay for a two-three hour class that includes paint, smock, canvas, tutelage, brushes & bottle opener. They then show you step by step how to achieve something you can hang with pride & joy & happy tree-lessness. While your teacher is not guaranteed to have a qualifying fro, they will be able to help you succeed. Plus, the more you drink, the awesomer you are!
Patience taught us how to make our seas roll in & our beach chairs bright while her husband got us fresh rinsing chairs & more paint.
An enjoyable session & it had my friend thinking of ladies night dé arte in the near future. If you think this would be great fun for you & your friends, I suggest you look for paint n sips near you!
Last week I covered the second half of that childhood taunt, talking about weddings. I had a big to do this last Saturday for family & they spawned that topic.
This last Sunday I had a baby shower & the Saturday before last. I’ve hit my stride of many to do’s. So far not broke, but getting there!
These following points are baby shower thoughts & tips… feel free to add your own in the comment section.
* Baby 1: The hair bow should not be bigger than the baby’s head. Common sense people!
* Baby 2: How to be better parent books are to only be given if specifically asked for. Be nice & remember to keep your mouth shut, their parents will do enough ‘teaching’.
* Baby 3: Diaper poo guessing games are not everyone’s cup of tea, do not make them sniff melted snickers if they don’t want too.
* Baby 4: 5,000 onesies in size 3 months is nice … unless the baby is 12 lbs at birth. Buy different sizes to grow into.
* Baby 5: Never ask another woman at the baby shower when she’s due too. A) not her shower & B) she’s probably not expecting.
* & Baby 6: Do not give the mother a Buddha statue to help remind her of her last 9 months. Of course, if the baby’s room is Zen-ified, that might be okay.
Well, okay, not that old.
But I’m starting to feel older as my gifting purposes change for just birthdays & holidays -> birthdays, holidays & graduations -> weddings & holidays -> weddings, holidays, babies & funerals. I guess the normal transition of life events but still, making me feel older. Yes, I buy funeral gifts, normally just a hand written note & ivy (they’re hard to kill & thus excellent funeral plants).
But today we’re focusing on the most expensive gifting season; wedding season. Merciful heavens, I want to get married! Look at all the stuff they get!
Registries: Bane of my existence. If you register at some ridiculously priced facility, or some 1 store in Texas place prepare to not get anything on your list. I am not driving 239 mi to the nearest branch of a store to find out you really want those diamond encrusted lobster tongs. You’re getting something practical or if I decide that practicals too much of a stretch for you, then you’re getting cash. I’ll even be nice & give it to you before you take that two week honeymoon backpacking, er, first class trip to French wineries. Be kind to your guests, we’re trying to celebrate your wedding not take out a small loan for those tongs… & remember to repay the favor when those poor single ladies get hitched, just because you now have 5 kids in braces when we stroll down the aisle does not mean you can reuse some cobwebbed gift we gave you alllll those years ago.
If you choose to wear heels like this to weddings, friends, bring shoes like this for the drive to & fro!
Your feet with thank you.
No wedding is complete without a few hitches (I’m so punnerific!). All jokes aside, a few necessities should be crammed in that ridiculously small clutch that looks so Fab with that dress:
I’d also include a tide stick (mini would be good), oil blot sheets, a car key (leave the rest in a stored spot), a cellphone, & an id. Who knows if the bartender believes you’re really 28 ½ & legal? (Snag him ladies, he’s a keeper!)
Lastly to have a fun, safe wedding, drink less than you think you should, eat the not super sugared food, & most of all avoid the relative or two who pokes your belly or glares at your empty left hand & asks when are you going to finally grow up & be a successful life entity.
I’m off to another wedding this weekend, & I’m pretty prepared. But if you’re getting married look out for birdseed, I have a great sneak attack.
(That’s me on the left, bulls eye!)
I post that in jest… but actually, in all seriousness…
I’m not sure how many times my mother has uttered this statement… but it’s been said at least once. She didn’t bite Barbie heads, but I think she used the lock on the door to keep herself in not to keep us out.
So if your Mom is anything like my mom, the thing she treasures most is her sanity. I’ve got a few things that could reboot her sanity (and keep you from taking out a second loan).
How to Keep Mom Happy (AND YOU DEBT FREE):
- Buy a webcam and set up video chatting, that way your mom can avoid the embarrassment of video recording herself trying to call you
- Digitize all her photos that way she can order reprints of your first bath for your boyfriend’s viewing when he comes over for Memorial Day festivities.
- If she’s a recipe hound help her set up all her recipes on her phone or computer through some creative apps and websites to make it easier on her for those last minute items.
- Plan a Picnic in the backyard, give Dad the grill and spread a blanket. Offer up a word of Thanks and a wand of bubbles for Mommy & Me time.
- For a little more adventurous time, grab an inner tube, grab your Mom (Sunblock too), pack an ice chest, and head to the River and share favorite moments you’ve had with her.
- Plant a tree or bush and have a small plaque done up in love for her.
- Make little gift goody bags to celebrate her the whole week, an item (such a rubber ducky with a poem about how she’s the one for you), a note & simple I love You.
- Spend the day reading around the bookstore (like Barnes & Noble) picking favorite books, pictures, and gaggle at image books.
- Make a homemade rice bag heating pad. Buy a little lavender, get a nice, NON USED tube sock, fill with uncooked rice/lavender, tie in a knot, and let mom enjoy a soothing back heater whenever you next stress her.
- Go Karaoke, and give a Tribute to Your Momma with some funky Motown Classics, or ham it up with some Dion or Houston.
- Plan a big tea party for multiple moms and collaborate with her best friends so that you and their kids can toast Moms everywhere.
- Arrange for dance lessons, and if they run a little high for your budget, rent a video from the library. Then once skilled, take her out for a spin.
Young Kid Gifts:
- Coloring page coupons for free hugs, no tear room clean ups, booger free dinners, or dress up nights.
- Make a crown and scepter, and pronounce her Queen for a Day, and all commandments were to be said in Queen Mommy Says…
- Have the adult cut out a door hanger, or buy a foam one at Hobby Lobby/Michael’s and have decorate so Mom can claim silent time.
Just remember, tell her you love her and that you appreciate all she does, ALL YEAR ROUND.
The Start of a Party… Weekend Music FEST
Welcome to the weekend of Music! It’s the 35 Denton Music Weekend, and it starts today!
You can still get tickets and bracelets so go here: www.35denton.com
I mentioned before how Denton was listed as the number 1 underground music hubbub, specifically this concert showcases our variety.
Got tickets but wanting to check the schedule? Go here specifically: Schedule
Not your cup of tea? Head on over to the Storyteller’s Festival this weekend also in Denton, Texas.
It’s located in the Civic Center off Mckinney & Bell Ave a little bit away from the 35 Denton Fest, and within easy distance of the DART train’s downtown drop off. This is the 27th Annual Conference and you should come out to it if you’re not into the local music scene!